1. How to tell a Docker client to communicate with a remote Docker daemon
In this episode, I discuss how the Docker client communicates with the Docker daemon, how I came to re-learn this essential fact while building a CD workflow in GitHub Actions recently, and how it helped me overhaul the final chapter of the Docker Essentials book and course.
While building my first GitHub Action-based workflow recently, I struggled until I took the time to relearn - and re-appreciate - how the Docker client and daemon communicate. In this episode, I share:
- How they work
- How the understanding helped me build a solid workflow to deploy webdevwithmatt.com
- Some of the different ways you can tell the Docker client which Docker daemon (remote engine) to communicate with
- plus lots more
Links from the episode
- Docker Overview
- "How to deploy on remote Docker hosts with docker-compose" from the Docker blog
- Digital Ocean Container Registry
- GitHub Actions documentation
- Docker Essentials (book and course)
- My Pluralsight courses
Hosted and produced by: Matthew Setter.